Saturday, December 5, 2009

Normally into Musical Theatre, but want to give Opera a try. Any Suggestions?

I absolutely adore musical theatre, and it is what i plan to do in my life, but my voice teacher and i have discovered i have an amazing dramatic soprano voice, and along with all my belt song, head voice, mixed, upbeat, and ballads, he's now adding a Opera category to my repetory. He wants me to go out and find good Opera songs for a High Legit Soprano, or even for Altos (Considering that's what I am in musical theatre). Promblem is is I have NO idea about any operas, infact the only thing/songs I know about opera are the things/ones handed to my from my choir teacher.



So any suggestions for good Opera songs for a female, doesn't matter voice part.



Normally into Musical Theatre, but want to give Opera a try. Any Suggestions?getting late



I will agree with some of the advice here, and disagree with some. Taking things slowly in opera is more than correct. If your teacher thinks you should expand into the operatic repertoire, then tells you to find your own music, you might want to find another teacher. Three years' experience does not a singer make, and you've not studied the rep. The books mentioned by these other very obviously knowledgeable people are excellent sources. Your teacher should be finding things that will bring you slowly around to the rep. I would have to disagree with the Puccini over Mozart issue. Verismo opera takes a trained depth that a singer of only three years would not have, in my opinion (not so humble, I've been told). Mozart composed for the soprano voice. It was his favorite. For vocal health, sing Mozart and Handel. Each of these composers require concentration on technique (not to say others don't require that, but I think the other posters here would know what I mean). Talk with your voice teacher about getting input from another teacher. I know the problems that go on with vocal politics between the studios of different teachers, but if your teacher is a good one, he won't mind having someone else listen and perhaps make suggestions regarding repertoire. I don't know how old you are, but taking care of your instrument is SO important. Don't take any chances with rep that doesn't suit you, or is too heavy for so early in your vocal career. I do wish you luck in your vocal endeavors, and toi, toi, toi!



Normally into Musical Theatre, but want to give Opera a try. Any Suggestions?regal theater opera theater



As an opera major in college, I found that singing arias and performing in operas were 2 different things. I learned alot of arias, but then began to volunteer for the local opera company. I learned so much! Then, I signed up for every opera workshop class I could find. That really helped too. It is addictive.
The singer gives good advice.



I would merely add that taking a look at Boris Goldovsky's little book "Bringing Soprano Arias to Life" might be worthwhile. It contains much good, useful information.



If you want to try some "opera" that is not too heavy and that has much in common with musical theater, look at Igor Stravinsky's little opera, Mavra. I think you will find the soprano and alto roles delicious.
Well, it wouldn't hurt you to try and it will expand the depth of your voice. Your voice may be too 'legit' for musicals, that's what's happened to me in the past. I have done both and that's not a bad thing. You have to know that High Legit and Dramatic Soprano are 2 very different things so when you're thinking repertoire you have to think dramatic soprano and even some lyric roles.



No dramatic soprano began by singing dramatic soprano arias. Sounds like you have a little bit of an overly zealous voice teacher. You don't want to sing any vocal part either as that can be damaging. Dramatic roles are enormous and depending on your age and it seems lack of experience I wouldn't start there as you can hurt yourself very badly.



I would start with Mimi's arias from La Boheme (they require a larger soprano voice) Si, Mi Chiamano Mimi is a good one to start with. Ach Ich Fuhls from The Magic Flute, you could even try Violetta from La Traviata. Listen the operas and see if they make sense to you on an intuitive vocal level. Happy hunting.
yogini is right-high soprano and dramatic soprano are two very kettles of fish in the opera world.



To add to her list of legit soprano arias to test out:



"Porgi amor" from The Marriage of Figaro ( Le Nozze di Figaro) by Mozart. It gives you not only some very beautiful music, but it helps consolidate the area where your voice is best "at home", which is what ultimately gives us our category names.



If it seems too heavy, try "Quando m'en vo" which is also from La Boheme by Puccini. It's a snappy, flirty tune, and lies a bit higher.



If these are too high, and you do fit more into the mezzo-soprano category ( in between alto and soprano), look for " Voi che sapete" from The Marriage of Figaro, or "Smanie implacabile" from one of Mozart's other operas Cosi fan Tutte.



By the way, have you ever worked on any of the old Italian arias from the 17th and 18th centuries? these were considered wonderful works, when they first came out, and we mostly use them nowadays for learning purposes. they would provide a good intermediate stage from musical to opera repertory.



Your teacher should know of them.



there are also several well-known aria books available that contain a range of different styles, languages, and composers, at least one for each voice category ( soprano, mezzo, alto, tenor, baritone, bass). You can probably find them easily at your local music store, or the library!



A good reference book to have if someone knows their German, is Rudolph Kloiber's Handbook of Opera. Volume 2 contains a listing of what voice category sings which roles, and this list is still considered a legal reference in Germany. ( As in, if it's not listed in my voice category by Kloiber, I don't have to sing it, even if the general manager insists)



Please go slowly and carefully. There are so many stylistic differences between musical and opera as well as some technical differences to be learned that it doesn't do well to hurry through it all and hurt yourself vocally.



Best wishes and keep on singing

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
hp