Thursday, December 10, 2009

Musical Theater/Midterm Final question?

For my Musical Theater class, we have to sing a song with some choreography. It is our pre-audition for Cinderella, the musical we're doing next spring.



I want to sing God Help The Outcats from The Hunchback of Notre Dame.



1. Are there any other songs I could do that are flowly enough to choreograph dancing to? (That can go with a Cinderella voice)



2. What should I sing for my audition song for Cinderella?



Musical Theater/Midterm Final question?symphony



You already have some good advice here. I agree that "No-one Is Alone" from Into The Woods, or "Home" from Beauty %26amp; The Beast would be great. They're similar in tempo and melodic shape to "God Help The Outcasts". You might also like to consider "Somewhere" from West Side Story. It's tricky to advise further without knowing your vocal range, but only choose a song you are 100% comfortable with. If there are particular notes you can't hit with ease, choose something else. You'll have enough to think about dancing and singing simultaneously without worrying about "here comes the high bit"! Break a leg :)



Musical Theater/Midterm Final question?performing arts center opera theater



I Cain't Say No



From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



Jump to: navigation, search



I Cain't Say No is a song from the musical play Oklahoma! written by composer Richard Rodgers and lyricist/librettist Oscar Hammerstein II.



In the song, the secondary character Ado Annie Carnes describes her sexual awakening and the conflicts that it brings. Ado Annie has two principal suitors, a Persian traveling salesman Ali Hakim, and the cowboy Will Parker, recently returned from an excursion to Kansas City. She describes to Laurey the attention she is now receiving from men "since she filled out" and her inability to say "no" to their advances.



Lyrics



It ain't so much a question of not knowing what to do.



I knowed what's right and wrong since I was ten.



I heared a lot of stories and I reckon they are true



About how girls're put upon by men.



I know I mustn't fall into the pit,



But when I'm with a feller, I forget! (fergit)



I'm just a girl who can't say no,



I'm in a terrible fix I always say "come on, let's go"



Jist when I orta say nix!



When a person tries to kiss a girl,



I know she orta give his face a smack.



But as soon as someone kisses me,



I somehow, sorta, want a kiss him back!



I'm am a fool when lights are low



I can't be prissy and quaint



I ain't the type that can faint



How c'n I be what I ain't?



I can't say no!



What you goin' to do when a feller gets flirty, and starts to talk purty?



What you goin' to do?



S'posin' 'at he says that yer lips're like cherries, er roses, er berries?



What you goin' to do?



S'posin' 'at he says that you're sweeter 'n cream,



And he's gotta have cream or die?



What you goin' to do when he talks that way,



Spit in his eye?



I'm just a girl who can't say no,



Can't seem to say it at all



I hate to dissapoint a beau



When he is payin' a call!



For a while I lack refined and cool,



A settin on the velveteen setee



thenn I think of the ol' golden rule,



And do for him what he would do for me!



I cain't resist a Romeo



In a sombrero and chaps



Soon as I sit on their laps



Somethin' inside of me snaps



I can't say no!
go with Disney by going with a song from Beauty and the Beast



Home



Beauty and the Beast



Something There



No Matter What (reprise)



by no means sing a song from Cinderella unless you're gonna sing something from the Disney movie Cinderella like "Bippidy Boppidy Bo"
in my own little corner from cinderella. it's adaptable to whatever kind of voice you have.
I wish we knew a bit more about your voice, range, and experience, but we'll work with what we've got :)



Well, first of all, God Help The Outcasts is going to be darn near impossible to dance along with. If your theatre teacher is really lenient on your sources, Once More With Feeling has a great song called Give Me Something To Sing About with a similar range that shows off singing/dancing well. (Once More With Feeling was the musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but there's a separate score available for purchase.)



As for the Cinderella audition, most anything from Into The Woods would be perfect. (Sondheim) I auditioned into my theatre company with an adaptation of No One Is Alone, but there are lots of different songs for female vocalists in most every range imaginable.



What I Did For Love, from A Chorus Line, might also be worth looking into.



Good luck!
well i think it depends on what kind of voice you have. if you have a soft angelic like voice or a strong earthy voice. if you have the first kind of voice then probably sing a song from sleeping beauty, cinderella, or snow white. but if you have the second voice, head for more songs that are in hercules or the little mermaid.



as for the first question. unless you are going to do a really upbeat song, it will be kinda hard to choreograph it. unless you knew how to dance in a contemporary style.
First of all, try to NOT use ANY song from the show.



Here is a list (various styles and ranges) that are perfect for cinderella. Take a look at the fallowing:



Fiona Cambell, Brigadoon, Song: Waitin' For My Dearie" (Accent Alert!)



Belle, Beauty %26amp; The Beast



Audrey, Little Shop Of Horrors, Song: "Somewhere That's Green"



Essie, Redhead, Song: "The Right Finger of My Left Hand"



Marion Halcombe, The Woman in White, Song: "All For Laura"

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
hp